Every now and then we all need reminders on how to reduce stress. Here are 10 expert tips on how to do just that:
1. Drink tea- Chamomile tea is a gentle relaxant that acts as a nerve tonic and a sleeping aid. If you experience a long day and can't seem to calm down, brew yourself a nice cup of chamomile tea with some added honey for a boost of nutrients.
2. Say no to coffee - Limit your intake of caffeine to de-stress. It can contribute to nervousness and mood swings.
3. Avoid processed foods- Processed foods can create stress on the digestive system. These foods include artificial sweeteners, soft drinks, fried foods, junk/fast foods, sugar, white flour products, and foods that contain preservatives.
4. Eat ginger- The next time you are feeling stressed or tired from anxiety, reach for some ginger. There is nothing like a little spice to perk you up.
5. Have some flaxseed oil- Flaxseed oil has also been known to help improve moods and boost brain function.
6. Just breathe- Deep breathing instantly calms you down, and sometimes imagining that you're blowing out any stress or negative feelings helps!
7. Unplug- Even unplugging for 30 minutes a day can help you relax.
8. Get moving- Exercising sounds counterintuitive since it's the opposite of relaxing, but working up a good sweat helps you sleep deeper and feel more relaxed at night. Even a few stretches before bed can help you relax and fall asleep quicker.
9. Analyze- Learning to recognize the signs of stress is also a good strategy. That way, you can bypass it if you know it's coming.
10. Take a day off- Your boss may not agree, but taking a personal day or even a half day can do wonders if you're stressed out.